Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Holiday Reflections

As I sit at my writing desk pondering all that has transpired over the past couple weeks i am left a realization, a Eureka moment hit me.  Throughout my adult life I have loathed the Christmas season, for a myriad of different reasons but primarily the consumerism infuriates me.  It is also important to state that throughout my adult life I have worked in the restaurant and retail industries.  Have you ever been in a place of business the day after Thanksgiving and heard Christmas music playing?  Well take to time right now to say a word of prayer to the poor souls that had to listen to Jingle bell Rock and Frosty the Snowman for a month straight.  This year has been unique in that my exposure to the a fore mentioned music has been minimal thus altering my view of the holidays.   This year was the best Christmas I remember having in a long, long time thanks to my sheltered way of dealing with shopping and socializing.  This however doesn't touch on my core disdain for the Season, which is people.  Now don't get me wrong I like people well enough, just not people around Christmas.  For instance I was standing at the self check-out line at Albertson's and a women was in front of me with two small children trying their best to make a great escape.  The mother is being patient and firm whilst waiting for an open station. Out of the blue a couple sneak past her and jump her place in line while she is tending to her children this happens three more times before I step in and put an end to it.  I just want to know truthfully why people around the holidays become hateful and rude. Is it the pressure of the holiday or the cold?  Because it's like a switch that gets flipped every year like clockwork.  Please help me understand this social phenomenon.  Do you see the same behavior or am I just a Grinch?

No comments:

Post a Comment